JSC "SIBUR Holding" | History
The history of the SIBUR group is an inseparable part of the history of Russia’s petrochemicals industry. Today, while keeping the best historic traditions alive, the Company is contributing new achievements of its own in a new environment.
Petrochemicals is one of the fastest growing industries in Russia, with a history that goes back over 100 years.
INNOVATION IN PRODUCTS AND PROCESSING
The policy of industrialization adopted by the USSR in the late 1920s – early 1930s provided an impetus for the creation of the country’s first chemicals and petrochemicals plants. It was at this time that the first coal tar factories appeared in the Donbass region. These supplied feedstock for pioneering petrochemicals plants employing organic syntheses to produce various products, such as benzene, toluene, xylenes, phenol, nitrobenzene, etc. As the needs of the USSR’s economy continued to grow, the country’s first synthetic butadiene rubber factories were built in Yaroslavl, Voronezh and Yefremov, as well as the Yaroslavl tyre factory and the Kirovo-Cheletskiy chemicals combine.
After World War II, the chemicals and petrochemicals sectors grew rapidly and were re-orientated towards petroleum feedstock. Between 1959 and 1965, rubber factories were built in Krasnoyarsk, Sterlitamak, Tolyatti, Omsk and Volzhsky. In accordance with the Programme for Chemization of the National Economy approved in 1963, mineral fertilizer plants were constructed in the towns of Kemerovo (the Azot plant), Tolyatti (Kuybyshevazot) and Veliky Novgorod (Akron), as well as the major Nizhnekamskneftekhim, Sayanskkhimplast and Kazanorgsintez petrochemicals complexes.
Взято с http://web.archive.org/web/20070607221325/http://www.sibur.ru:80/eng/636/1345/index.shtml